Friday, March 20, 2020

Embracing a Year of Jubilee

Our family theme for last year was Year of Jubilee: Rest and Restoration. I felt the idea was from God, and then--in characteristic fashion--He honored and fulfilled His Own idea. ; )

I just realized that He is extending that opportunity to our whole country and world, this year. 

Do a little research on the Year of Jubilee. I'm fascinated by it. https://www.gotquestions.org/Jubilee.html

Every 50th year (after 7 cycles of 7 years), the Israelites were to cease planting, rest from their usual work, set all their slaves free, revert land back to original owners, and trust God to provide on a daily basis.

Do you see some parallels with what we're all experiencing right now.

We are ceasing from much of our normal routines and plans. Our lives feel radically different. We are completely uncertain what will happen ("nobody knows," I keep telling my kids). 

It feels like a reset year. And God means it for our freedom.

I'm already feeling the freedom of breaking out of our established modes...and finding that life goes on, and "underneath are the Everlasting Arms" as my safety net. It's refreshing.

Interestingly enough, the verse about the Year of Jubilee, Leviticus 25:10, "Proclaim liberty throughout the land unto all inhabitants thereof," are the words inscribed on the Liberty Bell.

Maybe God means to set us free in new ways. 

Maybe He is extending rest and restoration.

Maybe after the "land lies fallow" for a while, fresh and abundant growth will burst forth.

I think I'll embrace this Year of Jubilee and enjoy His unfolding plan. 

No comments: